In the ever-evolving world of social media, Instagram has remained at the forefront, captivating millions of users with its innovative features. One feature that has taken the platform by storm is Instagram Reels. This dynamic tool allows any individual or business to become content creators by producing short and engaging videos that capture the attention of their followers (and the algorithm).
Let’s address the elephant in the room: TikTok. With 50 million daily active users, we get this question a lot: “Should our brand be on TikTok?” While there is no one-size-fits-all response, we always preach quality over quantity when it comes to social media. Before investing time and resources into a new platform, consider exploring the possibilities of short-form video for your company on Instagram if you’re already active there.
So, whether you’re a beginner or looking to enhance your Reels game, here is a step-by-step guide to short-form video content:
Where do I start?
To create Instagram Reels, the first step is to open the Instagram app on your photo and select the “+” icon at the bottom center of the screen. From there, swipe left to enter the Reels section. Alternatively, you can access Reels by selecting the camera icon at the top left corner of your Instagram feed.
- Keep content concise: Instagram Reels can be up to 60 seconds long, offering a compact canvas to showcase creativity. Make sure your content is concise, engaging and visually appealing. Aim to hook your audience within the first few seconds.
How do I edit?
You don’t need to be a professional videographer or have expensive editing software to create eye-catching Instagram Reels. While you can edit directly in the Instagram app, thanks to various free editing apps, you can bring your creative vision to life with just a few taps. Here are some Franco-recommended apps to consider:
- InShot: A user-friendly app with a wide range of editing features, InShot allows you to trim and merge and add filters, music and text to your Reels. It also offers convenient tools like speed adjustment and background blur.
- CapCut: The app offers advanced editing capabilities, including transitions, effects, text animations and more. It’s perfect for adding that extra flair to your Reels.
- Canva: While primarily known for its design capabilities, Canva also offers an excellent video editing feature. With Canva, you can easily create and customize stunning Reels by adding text overlays, graphics and music.
What do I post?
If you are already a consumer of the content, you may be looking at trending content and thinking your brand could never participate viral dance videos. Luckily, you can create strategic attention-grabbing Instagram Reels that make sense for any company. Here are a few approaches to consider:
- Leverage Trends and Challenges: Keep an eye on viral challenges, dances or creative formats gaining popularity, and find ways to incorporate them into your Reels. Franco recently participated in the “This or That” challenge by incorporating office routine, Detroit-specific and public relations-related questions.
- Product Showcasing: Create short and snappy Reels highlighting your product’s unique features, benefits and shots of it in action. Be creative in the presentation, using transitions and demonstrations to grab the audience’s attention.
- Behind-the-Scenes: People love to see the human side of brands and connect with real stories. Share snippets of your team in action, introduce team members or provide a sneak peek into your company’s culture. Authenticity and transparency can help build trust with your followers.
View this post on Instagram
- Educational and How-To Guides: Position your brand as a thought leader in your industry by creating educational content. Share tips, tricks and tutorials related to your products or services. This content drives engagement, establishes your expertise and builds trust with your followers.
Tip: Add captions and subtitles: Since many users watch Instagram Reels with the sound off and to create inclusive content, including captions or subtitles can ensure your message is still conveyed effectively.
Does posting Reels work?
With over 500 million users partaking in the Instagram Reels feature, short-form video content has officially taken over the social media world. In 2022, Influencer Market Hub published a study that established Reels receive 22% more engagement than regular Instagram video posts compared to regular videos on Instagram. The Reels feed in the app gains more engagement from users. It is also separate from the Reels exploration page, giving users a higher percentage of visibility.
Instagram Reels offer a unique platform for businesses and organizations across all industries to showcase their talent and connect with a larger audience. By following these basics, you’ll be well on your way to crafting engaging and visually appealing short-form video content that increases awareness while playing to the nature of the social platform’s algorithm.
Interested in more quick tips and best practices to guide your social media strategy? Subscribe to our Thoughts From the 313 newsletter.
Caitlyn Wolter is an Integrated Communications Coordinator at Franco. Connect with her on LinkedIn.